Monday, July 4, 2011

Sing for me pretty.

My client was receiving her Master's in voice and needed a cake for her voice recital.



Price:$280
 I surprised her with my first 2 tiered cake.

Voice Recital Cake
Vanilla butter cake with chocolate chip buttercream filling.
Keyboard is fondant.
Notes are edible images.
Girl is 50/50 fondant.
Toppers are gumpaste, notes are fondant.
Cake is covered in white fondant.

I was so proud of this cake.  It took me over a week to dry the fondant girl. I made it to look like the client.  If you look closely, she is holding a microphone :).

Making the fondant girl was the hardest accent to make on this cake.  I made her in 3 parts. First, her head and body then her hair and clothing and finally her arms. Everything had to be dried before putting it all together.

When making a 2 tier cake, it is important to add dowels to the bottom tier and then adding one dowel down the center through both tiers.  This will help support and stabalize the cake and this cake had to travel 35 miles to its destination.


Dowels





This is an image of a  larger cake being doweled.


Center Dowel

Today's Lesson:  Edible images are a great idea but challenging to work with. 

 If the room you are working in is warm the edible image will become weak and can easily break.  The image can also disintegrate in your hands if you peel it off incorrectly. .

Fix: When working with edible images be sure that...
 1. The room is cool when working.
 2. You peel off image correctly.

Turn on the air conditioner and be sure to buy extra images, just in case.  Luckily for me, I purchase a few extra images.




No comments:

Post a Comment