Thursday, June 30, 2011

Sometimes the cake IS the gift.

I had my first VIP client a few weeks back...My boyfriend's mother. So what do you get a woman who has it all?

A cake.

Jewelry Gift Box Cake
Bottom half of cake is fudge cake with a chocolate ganache filling, lid is vanilla butter cake, 50/50 fondant bow, tissue is made out of gumpaste, ring is isolmalt/fondant, necklace is made out of fondant, and cake board is covered in fondant to look like cloth.


Price: $100

Let's talk about the bow. Fondant bows are gorgeous but they take a lot of patience.  Each loop is created and then left to dry.  Be sure to measure them exactly the same or you'll end up having a crazy looking bow.  You will want to make about 10 loops at about 6 inches length before forming into loops, the 6 loops at about 5 inches long and then a few more at about 3 inches in length long.


Thank you to a fellow blogger for the picture.

Once the loops have dried, you would then assemble your bow, row by row using royal icing.  Its time consuming but the effect is beautiful.


My favorite part was the gumpaste tissue.  This was made by rolling gumpaste super thin and crumpling it up just a bit and then letting them dry on rolled up pieces of plastic wrap (forgive me for not having a picture to demonstrate).

An isomalt jewel I purchased at the cake store (I haven't tapped in to creating things with isomalt yet but I feel like that lesson is coming soon) was attached to a fondant ring.  The necklace was fondant, rolled up into little balls and then strung through floral wire and left to dry.

Today's Lesson: Don't forget the royal icing. Always keep extra royal icing around...never know when you'll need.

Royal Icing is the glue that holds it all together and I do mean everything. I ran out of royal icing and didn't have a chance to get more.  I ended up stuffing the gumpaste tissue in between the cakes and praying it would stay together. Lucky for me the cake wasn't going far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment