Saturday, June 25, 2011

Happy First Blog Day To Me!

I had dinner with some friends a few nights ago and one of them said to me "why don't you start a blog?". Hmm...well that's an idea. Why don't I?

So here I am.

Today I presented my latest creation which was inspired by a cake I saw online. 

Fish Cake 
It was my first carved pound cake covered in fondant filled with pineapple buttercream.  The water was vanilla buttercream. The fish and worms were 50/50 fondant and the cake board was covered with chocolate flavored fondant.

A little history of me and fondant.   I've only really played with the idea making fondant cakes since about March. It wasn't as scary as some may think.  To be honest, I think the scariest part about fondant is paying all this money for the sugary bliss and then ruining it. Arrgggh! That would be awful!

So I haven't done many cakes but I've learned so much about the do's and don'ts of cakes and cake decorating.  So here I am to share my lessons with you.  I have noticed that with every cake I decorate there is always a lesson learned. So here it goes...

Today's Lesson Learned:  Fondant and Refrigeration don't mix.

Try never to put your fondant cake in the refrigerator.  When you take your cake out of the refrigerator, a nice "sweating" will accumulate on your cake. This condensation occurs when the cold of your cake comes in contact with the warmth of the room.Your fondant will soften and possible disintegrate and your 50/50 (50% gumpaste/50% fondant) cake accents will soften and potentially break. Your cake can potentially warp.

Potential Fix: You can try to bring your cake to room temp in a air-conditioned room and/or have a fan directly blowing on the cake. This will help to dry up the condensation.


No comments:

Post a Comment