Monday, July 11, 2011

Crack this one open.

It was January 2, 2011 when I decided that I was going to really give this cake thing a try.  I decided that Easter was going to be the day for my first cake debut.  Of course I new I had to practice playing with fondant before Easter (that's how I came to make "bird on a bush" and the piggies cupcake.) 

Once I felt comfortable with fondant, it was time to make the Easter cake.  The actual cake was an inspiration from a cake I saw online.


Easter Egg 2011

Fondant cover pound cake with buttercream filling
Gumpaste chicken feet.
Price: $95

Cupcakes


Bunny made out of fondant.
Buttercream frosting to look like grass.


Crushed Oreos to look like dirt.
Fondant carrots.


Fondant Ducky.
Buttercream frosting with blue piping
 gel to make it look like water.

Gumpaste Daisy.
I guess this was actually the first time
 I made a gumpaste sugar flower.
 I used colored sugar for the center.

This is was so much fun to make!  The reaction from my friends and family was priceless. 

Lesson Learned:  Cream cheese frosting can't be left out.

Cream cheese frosting is very soft and needs to be refrigerated.  After I made the cupcakes, I realized I had refrigerate them.  The "water" was losing it's shape.  This was the only time I put fondant figures in the fridge and not worry about condensation.  The fondant figures were set to dry way in advance.  This helped with the condensation problems that occurs with fondant.

No comments:

Post a Comment