Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Have suitcase...will travel.

Sorry it's taken so long to write about my new cake adventure.  I am pretty excited about this one.  Some friends are traveling cross country and I wanted to give them something special.  I wanted to be sure that it was small enough for them to consume right away because who wants to come home after long trip to find a moldy cake in the fridge.


Suitcase Cake


This cake was 6 inches x 4.5 inches x 2 inches.
Pretty small cake :o)
Vanilla buttercream cake with Strawberry buttercream.
Everything on the cake is fondant.

I took a sheet cake and cut it half. I could have made this cake bigger but like I said it was just a little something to wish them a good trip.  I saved the other half of the sheet cake for another cake I am making next week.  

Cakes can be frozen if stored correctly.  I hate to break it to some of you but it is a common practice among cake decorators.  Some cakes are frozen a couple of weeks in advance.  The longest I've frozen a cake is a week.  Cakes must be cover securely in plastic wrap then covered in aluminum foil.  I then place my cake in a plastic bag.  This is to prevent any freezer burn.  Once defrosted, the cake is wonderfully fresh and moist.  Some say it takes even better then it did the day they made it.




This was quite a simple cake.  I covered the sheet cake in chocolate fondant and made all the buckles and handle separately. I then painted the belts and painted brown luster dust on the whole cake.  The luster dust gave the cake an aged look.  I then painted the buckle and the corners with a gold luster dust.

Today's Lesson:  If possible paint your pieces before you add them to your cake.

I waited until I add all the pieces to then paint them gold.  It was driving me insane. I can be a bit of a perfectionist sometimes and the fact that the colors kept running into each other was just killing me.  I would paint everything first and then attach it.  It will be a much cleaner look.




Luster Dust from NY Cake
Picture is enlarged
 Luster dust is expensive for what it is.  Its about 2g of powder for about $5.00 but its an important part of cake decorating, so you kinda of have to just suck it up.  It will definitely transfer your cakes and designs into something really special.  Some people will put it into their airbrush and brush it on that way.

2 comments:

  1. When u freeze the cakes when do u take them out of the freeze? The day before u need it or the same day when your going to decorate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take the cake out the day I decorate, but I make sure its the first thing I do. It defrosts pretty quickly. It's essential to have a cold cake when decorating with fondant. You also need the cake to chill and settle with the filling and buttercream before adding the fondant. This will prevent bulging which you can see happening in the graduation cake.

    I do make sure the cakes are still frozen if I have to carve them. I also let them defrost with the plastic covering still on. This will keep them moist. I defrosted the recital cake two days before I needed to deliver the cake. I let the cake settle overnight before I covered it in fondant.

    Thank you for your questions.

    ReplyDelete