Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Its Time To Go Shopping...

Today I went shopping. Trips to the cake store always makes me happy.  It's the highlight of my week.

There aren't make cake shops in NYC like the one I shop at.  There's always a mix of people shopping.  Anywhere from professionals to students to little at-home bakers like myself. There's plenty of things to look at and explore. This is where I go to find speciality items.



You can get inspired just by walking in...



 If you want to get into cake decorating, you must find your own little heaven like this.  You want to find a store that has a good selection and a nice price range. This way, you can make a better decision on how you want to spend your money.  If there isn't a store like this near you, there's always the Internet.

One of my favorite websites is http://www.globalsugarart.com/. This website is awesome- not only do they have a great selection but they have amazing deals as well.  It truly is my favorite online website.

The cake decorating hobby can be pretty expensive but its important to buy the highest quality ingredients for your cakes.  You don't want to be known as the one who makes pretty good looking cakes that aren't so good tasting. 





about $37 worth of materials

Today's Lesson:  Cake decorating will empty your wallets.

Solution: Unfortunately, there is no solution for this.  But remember if makes you happy then its all so worth it.






  



5 comments:

  1. Hey Tania,
    Which store is that? You may also want to check out Oh Chocolat, it's by my house on 5th Avenue and 79th street. It's a small shop, but they have lots of fun cake-making supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake store is the NY Cake Company. I have been to "Oh Chocolat". Its a sweet store. It a good place to get you started. The downside of the store is that it mainly only sells Wilton products. But its a good store for certain kinds of cake emergencies. They do have a great selection of chocolate molds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is NY Cake Company? Is that where you buy the better fondant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The NY Cake Company is located on 22nd Street between 5th and 6th Ave. I use Satin Ice fondant. I try to buy it on the Global Sugar Art Website. They usually have great deals. When I need fondant right away I go to NY Cake Company or to The Cook's Companion in Brooklyn (http://acookscompanion.com/. Its a small shop that carries a few good baking products.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I love Cook's Companion- such a fun store, though it can be a little pricey. Good to know the cake store is kinda close to work for me, I can just pop in anytime! :)

    ReplyDelete