Monday, June 27, 2011

There once was a piggy who went to the market...

So I have this friend who wanted me to make cupcakes for her daughter's birthday. It was an "Olivia the Pig" birthday extravaganza. SO CUTE! I thought .........Piggy Cupcakes!. 

The great thing about cupcakes is there aren't many things that can go wrong with them.  Cakes, on the other hand, can go terribly wrong.  There's this great blog that does a nice job proving this-http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/. Pretty hilarious. Anyway....

PIGGY CUPCAKES
Chocolate Cake with a red vanilla buttercream swirl on top. Piggies are handmade from fondant. Cupcake liners complete the look.

I got this great idea for making the piggies from http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-a-fondant-pig-2.  I made the piggies a few weeks in advance.

As I've said before with every cake (or cupcakes) there is always a lesson learned, in this case, two lessons learned.

Today's Lesson: 1. Never put store your fondant figures in a clear container.
2. Red Buttercream will drive you nuts.

So here is the thing with fondant. You pretty much make anything you want and store it for however long in advance you'd like.  If they get even a hint of sunlight, the color of the fondant figures will fade.  I placed my piggies in a clear container on a shelf for 2 weeks.  When I went to use them they were a shade of pink that I certainly didn't use.  To fix the problem, I made more piggies of the original shade of pink and mixed the two different types of piggies on the cupcakes to get give the cupcakes more dimension.

As for red buttercream, it was my personal hell.  I didn't realize that red food coloring has a awful bitter taste if you use too much (you need a lot of red food coloring to get a pure shade of red). I ruined a nice batch of buttercream this way.

Fix the problem:  1. Store your fondant figures in a dark and dry place. Fondant is just fun to use but  storing fondant incorrectly can make you cry.

2. When making red buttercream use a  "no taste" red food coloring.  I used Wilton's "no taste" food coloring.  Make your buttercream a few days in advance so that the coloring can deepened before using.

Price: $75/24 cupcakes

2 comments:

  1. I love the piggys they r really cute. So my question is would u store unused fondant the same way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Good question. I keep the unused fondant in a plastic bag (sealed tight) and then I place it in a plastic container (usually the one the fondant comes in). The smallest bit of air will dry out the fondant. By the way, I store the fondant figures in the container when the figures have completely dried. I also try to separate them with wax paper just in case the they want stick together :o)

    ReplyDelete