Saturday, July 23, 2011

"Roll the film!"

This cake was for a film student's birthday.

Film Reel Cake


Chocolate Fudge Cake with chocolate chip buttercream filling.
Fondant and gum paste covered.

To make this cake I knew I had to dry out the gumpaste rounds for the top and bottom of the cake a few days ahead of time. When it was time to start decorating, I covered the top with black fondant and scored the fondant with a icing tool to mimick the roll of film. You can see the details a little better in the picture below.




Icing Tool

Once the gumpaste rounds dried, I placed the cake on one of the rounds and then place the other round on top.  Once that was completed, I wrapped a ribbon of black fondant around the cake.  I then cut out the white fondant squares for the film and placed them on the film.


Lesson Learned: Make sure gumpaste is completely dried before handling.

I think I moved the gumpaste too soon .  It sort of wrinkled in the center.  Next time I will make the rounds about a week or so in advance.  I waited 5 days before using these rounds.  Sometimes when you color gumpaste it takes a little longer to dry as well.

Thanks for reading : )

No comments:

Post a Comment