Saturday, September 3, 2011

The drama continues...

First, I would like to apologize for not posting in awhile. I had just gotten back from a mini vacation when I had to deal with a NYC earthquake and a hurricane. It was quite a dramatic week.  I hope everyone made it out of this drama okay.

Speaking of drama...

 I last posted about a cake I was doing for a friend's birthday. We tried the lion cake and it kind of  didn't work. So we ended up with a shopping bag cake design.





$200/Serves 20-25


Vanilla sheet cake covered in fondant.
Gumpaste tissue, flowers and lipstick.
Cake board is covered in fondant.
Details on the cake is fondant.

Originally when I decided to do the a shopping bag cake, I was going with a standing shopping bag (not one that was laying down). Unfortunately that didn't work out. Here is an image of a standing up design...
Picture is courtesy of Cakecentral.com
Lets talk about the drama of this cake. In order to get the affect of the standing cake I made 3 sheet cakes, cut them in half and trimmed them to be able to stack them up. Well lets just say I started out with a bag and ended up with a wallet (quoting a friend of mine).  I was concentrating so much on getting the lines straight I didn't realize I was cutting too much.  So it was 9:30pm, the night before the party and I had to make a new cake and design.  ARGGGHHH!!!!!  Thank goodness I live in NYC and some of the supermarkets are opened til midnight.  So I rushed to the car, jumped in, rushed to the supermarket to buy all new ingredients and rushed back home.  I made it to the supermarket and back in less than 40 minutes. I was up till 1am baking the new cakes.  It was a tough night.  I won't even tell you about the drama that I woke up to the next day.

Here is what the details of the new cake....


This gumpaste "tissue" was dried a week in advanced, shaped and painted. 

The shopping bag handle was made using a clay/fondant extractor. My new favorite toy!



These flowers were made to look like Gerber daisies. Noticed the trim? I used the clay extractor for the trim as well.


The lipstick was made to look like a MAC lipstick.  I couldn't find my silver luster dust so they this just had to do :o).

Thanks for reading.  Stay tuned to see what I did for a little girl who turned 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment